Beale Street Music Festival makes a comeback with its nostalgic lineup

Charlie LaMountain

Beale Street Music Fest is set for April 29-May 1. It is the first Music Fest in Memphis since 2019, due to the pandemic.

Maggie Akers, Staff Editor

Memphis in May is one of the city’s biggest events of the year. It includes Beale Street Music Festival (BSMF), the World Champion Barbecue Cooking Contest, the Great American River Run, and the newly implemented International Salute to Ghana.

The festival usually brings over 100,000 people to the city, popular for its famous headliners, such as Cardi B (2019), Khalid (2019), Post Malone (2018), and Tyler the Creator (2018).

As 3-day passes and singular ticket prices rise as the event draws nearer, many people are wondering if the performers will be worth the money, especially since BSMF has not happened since 2019 before COVID-19 began.

The 2022 lineup features headliners such as DaBaby, The Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Lil Wayne, and so many more. Megan Thee Stallion is the most recently announced headliner, changing many peoples’ original disappointed opinions toward the lineup.

Alexandra Lafferty (11) said, “The lineup after the pandemic is good because Beale Street Music Festival is showing a variety of artists. The lineup has some mainstream artists but also features “underground” music.”

Upper School Learning Specialist Mrs. Askew said, “Some of my favorites that I’m excited about are Foo Fighters, Three 6 Mafia, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Counting Crows, Death Cab for Cutie, Project Pat, and Weezer. Basically, it’s a lot of nostalgia for me. So many bands from my high school and college years.”

The Memphis in May Music Festival will be one of the biggest community events Memphis has had since 2019, a comeback with a bang after COVID-19.